06 September 2008

"Go Away, Jesus."

Luke8:
34
When those tending the pigs saw what had happened, they ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, 35and the people went out to see what had happened. When they came to Jesus, they found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at Jesus' feet, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. 36Those who had seen it told the people how the demon-possessed man had been cured. 37Then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear. So he got into the boat and left.

How often do we see the power of Jesus over evil in our lives and say, "No, I'd rather hold on to this for awhile." His power brings great fear to our sin nature, our unbelief causes us to fear. We are so comfortable in our sinful life that it is easier to say, "Go away, Jesus." than to live in the freedom that He offers. Sometimes it hurts to be redeemed because our prideful nature as men wants to pay back every good done for us to the One who does it, or try to take the punishment for our sins upon ourselves. We can't do that with God...and we know it. It's easier to deny the gift rather than accept what we can never repay.
Even on human terms, how often do we resent when someone buys us dinner when we would like to pay for our own? I do this with my own grandfather. He tries to pay when I take him for lunch...and he always wins. I go away upset that he didn't let me buy his lunch, rather than basking in the love that an old man has for his grandson. I'm his beloved child...he will always be my provider. He has done more for me than I will ever be able to repay to him. My duty is not to repay him. My duty is to love my fellow man as Christ has loved me.

How much greater is God's love for us than that of our grandfathers?

Infinite.

...the scariest thing about this passage though, is that when the people told Jesus to go away...He did. I pray that I never become so comfortable in my own sin, or so arrogant in wanting to deal with it myself, that when Jesus says, "I will free you of this." That I tell Him to go away.

2 comments:

amy.kathleen said...

Amen. This was beautifully written Eli. Sometimes God is waving His hands in front of our faces trying to say something and we don't even realize it! He's always looking for ways to tell us how much He loves us.

JCovington said...

This reminds me of my first day in Nicaragua with the kids at camp. They were testing us and I failed. I tried to communicate the desired behavior and they just smiled and ran away, actually understanding my gestures and words. Afterall, doesn't no mean no! That night I lay on my bed and thought of the many times God tried to tell me "no" and I smiled and ran away, pretending I didn't understand the communication. It opened my eyes to my own sin and negligence.