18 November 2007

Pray for the Izdepski Family

I know I should blog more about my regular life here, but this is an important prayer request from a friend. A friend who was the father of a dear friend of mine passed away of a heart attack yesterday. This is the email prayer request that I have been sending.

Hey guys...thought I would forward this prayer request. I just got
another email from Josh and he said they really need prayer. He and
Caleb are flying back with the body, and a couple other friends are
going to make arrangements for the stuff that they are going to have
to leave behind here in Nicaragua. The Izdepski family has become
close friends of mine, they have been involved with workers rights and
job safety issues in Central America for 20 years or so. Bob was a
professional scuba diver (retired from oil rigs), and had a real
passion for the Miskito lobster divers. He put the first
decompression chambers and diver first aid centers on the east coast
about 15 years ago. He was currently working on chemical safety for
banana and sugar cane workers and for alternative employment for
divers who had been paralyzed. In the last couple months, Bob and his
sons had been using the house that I rent as a base camp of sorts in
their travels around Central America. It was a real privilege to get
to know him in the short time that I did.

Josh Izdepski and I were together in the relief effort after hurricane Felix, and Josh, Caleb, and Bob were all off-and-on roommates of mine along with workers and film crews that include Jason Glaser and Nicaraguan activist Juan Alejandro Samuel. There was a price on Bob's head in certain areas of Central America because he was so bold in his work to bring a comfortable and safe working environment to Latin America that he cost governments and large corporations millions of dollars...all in the name of doing the right thing. Bob liked to keep his whereabouts and patterns unknown, and I was doing my best to keep my house a safe house for his family and crews. Many mornings I would wake up with them staging their meetings on the porch or in the kitchen about what the next move would be to raise awareness, funds, or simply take action to help "the affected." (Watch the trailer here www.affectedmovie.com ) Bob was a strong Christian, as are his two sons that I know. Bob was the kind of Christian that did what was right, no matter the cost, and met people where they were. He could become all things to all men, and often had to do that for the sake his own safety and for that of his family. In all his cautiousness, there is irony that he died of natural causes. But in the short time that I knew him, I think I knew him well enough to know that it was fitting for him to pass to the Lord in his beloved Central America, while hiking with two of his sons and some dear friends. Friends and sons that are more than capable of bearing his torch.

My prayer request is for strength for Josh and Caleb and the whole Izdepski family. Also for Jason Glaser and Steve (?) the two friends directing and filming the movie with them. Jason and Steve are graciously taking the lead in handling arrangements from Costa Rica and I will be helping them finalize arrangements in Nicaragua. This is the second tragic death that Jason and Steve have witnessed in as many weeks. They need prayers for peace as much as anyone.

Much love in Christ,
Eli

No comments: